Login:           Forgot login? | Register

FAQ - Insurance Advice

I want to let 2 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, can I have a professional policy ?

To be able to subscribe to a professional insurance policy, you will have to register your business in France

I am planning to fit a woodburner myself, is that a problem?

You should inform your Insurer and receive in writing an acknowledgement of this fact.

Is it true I must have my chimney swept every year even though we rarely use it?

You are required to maintain your chimney regularly whether you use it or not. In case of a fire originating from your chimney the loss adjustor will most certainly wish to ascertain if the cause was due to a lack of maintenance.

I am extending my gite , how do I know the artisans I have chosen are correctly insured ?

Every contractor who builds in France, whether his project concerns a new development or a renovation, must be insured against ‘decennale’ liability. It will cover the work from the date of acceptance of works (réception) for a decade.

It is common practice to ask your artisan for an ‘attestation d’assurance décennale’.

Why do people subscribe to an ‘assurance scolaire’ & how much do they cost ?

French law prescribes that parents are directly responsible for the actions of their children. If your child causes accidental damage or injury to another person or object, then the victim can bring a civil action for damages against the parents. 

Parents are obliged to take out insurance cover for their children so they can participate in school visits, trips and sports outside of the school curriculum.  The school will ask for a copy of the insurance certificate before your child can participate in any of these activities.  It costs Between 10€ to 30€ per child depending on the cover. You
should verify that an ‘assurance scolaire’ is not included with your GAV policy (Garanties des Accidents de la Vie).

When I sign for my property at the Notaire’s office, what insurance documents do I need to have?

You will most certainly have a lot of things on your mind that day, and to simplify this procedure, your French insurer can email your Notaire the appropriate French property insurance document.  It is important that you source an insurance provider who is used to dealing with clients at a distance, and who will react by email to your issues.



end faq

Answers to your Questions

If you have a niggling problem or query then pain relief for it may well be found here.

In this section we deal with some common issues experienced by many gite owners.

You can pick a category and then browse the FAQs within it. The solution you need may be only a few clicks away.

For less common questions you should consult our Factsheets in the Document Store, or contact one of our consultants directly.


Our plan is to make The Gite Doctor the primary information resource for property owners in France. If you have a question that is not answered here, or if you have suggestions for information we could add to these FAQs, then email us now.


  • Check Up
  • Hand Holding
  • Specialist Care
  • TLC
  • Intensive Care
  • Follow Up Care
Tel: + 33 (0)2 96 24 74 27.        Terms and Conditions   ::   Privacy Policy   ::   Disclaimer

The Gite Doctor uses cookies to provide a personalised service and improve our site. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more
Site Built & Managed by Knowledge Generation