Login:           Forgot login? | Register

FAQ - Financial Planning

I have just sold my house in the UK and have some capital, why should I see a Financial Planner?

So that all the financial options available to you in France can be explained, allowing you to make an informed decision based on your personal circumstances and aspirations.

I spend more time in the UK than in France, why shouldn’t I see a UK Financial Planner?

A UK Financial Planner is a specialist in the UK, where the financial rules and regulations are different to France. Talking to a specialist in France will enable you to keep up to date with the current rules in areas like the taxation of investments/ pensions and property, and also future changes as they arise.

If I need cash at a later date, can I easily release some equity in my French Property?

Releasing equity in your French home is more complicated than in the UK. The banks look very closely at what your plans for the money are and your personal circumstances. This is especially tricky if you find that your income has reduced since moving to France.

I have made my will in the UK, will that be sufficient in France?

If your main residence is in the UK and your French property is a holiday home, then a UK Will is fine. However, if your main residence is in France, then it is necessary to make a French will.

If I move to France before retirement age, what happens to my UK Pensions until I am old enough to draw them?

There are many options available to you depending on your personal circumstances and this is an area that the needs looking at very carefully. Being an expatriate does allow you certain flexibility with historic employer pensions.

I have investments in the UK, Can I get tax efficient investments in France?

Yes, the French government gives allowances to French residents and our financial planning team are more than happy to explain these to you. They will also advise whether the tax status on UK investments has changed following your move to France.

How much will it cost me to see a Financial Adviser?

Our experts charge no fee for consultations and reports (where necessary). They are remunerated with commissions paid to them by the companies they deal with. There is no fee for the Financial Planning service they provide. Please ask for a copy of the customer charter which explains how they work. 

end faq

Answers to your Questions

If you have a niggling problem or query then pain relief for it may well be found here.

In this section we deal with some common issues experienced by many gite owners.

You can pick a category and then browse the FAQs within it. The solution you need may be only a few clicks away.

For less common questions you should consult our Factsheets in the Document Store, or contact one of our consultants directly.


Our plan is to make The Gite Doctor the primary information resource for property owners in France. If you have a question that is not answered here, or if you have suggestions for information we could add to these FAQs, then email us now.


  • Check Up
  • Hand Holding
  • Specialist Care
  • TLC
  • Intensive Care
  • Follow Up Care
Tel: + 33 (0)2 96 24 74 27.        Terms and Conditions   ::   Privacy Policy   ::   Disclaimer

The Gite Doctor uses cookies to provide a personalised service and improve our site. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more
Site Built & Managed by Knowledge Generation